|Sizing and Types||Choose the right size and type (Divan or Bedstead) depending on your room and lifestyle.|
|Storage||Ottoman beds offer unparalleled storage options. Use storage bags or boxes to maximise space.|
|Mattresses||The type of mattress you choose should be compatible with the base of your ottoman bed.|
|Special Circumstances||Consider special needs like back pain, small living spaces, or if you have children and pets.|
|Durability and Investment||Quality materials and proper maintenance can extend the life of your ottoman bed.|
|Alternatives||Bunk beds, Divan beds, and storage beds are alternative options with storage features.|
Hey there, Snooze Sleuths! It’s Lewis from Dream HQ, and today we’re diving into a question that’s been keeping some of you night owls up: Should I get an ottoman bed? Fasten your sleep masks because we’re delving into the nitty-gritty details, complete with all the pros and cons.
The Good, The Bad, and The Snuggly
The Upside of Ottoman Dreams
Let’s start with why you might want to snooze in an ottoman bed.
- Extra Storage Galore: Have a mound of spare bedding or a collection of rarely-worn winter jumpers? Stow them away without gobbling up extra floor space.
- Easy-Peasy Access: No more wrestling with drawers or toppling over as you reach under the bed. Just lift and voila!
- Room Zen: Picture this—a bedroom where everything is in its place. That’s what an ottoman can deliver, my friends.
- The Look: From plush velvet to rustic wood, ottoman beds come in a buffet of styles. Pick your aesthetic poison.
- Unbeatable Functionality: Let’s be real, ottoman beds are the best storage beds money can buy.
- Built to Last: No one likes a flimsy bed. For peace of mind on durability, check out our piece on how strong an ottoman bed can be.
Hot Tip: If you’re torn between divans and bedsteads, get the lowdown on what a divan ottoman bed is. You can thank me later.
The Downside of Ottoman Dreams
- The Weight of the World: These beds can be heavy and, let’s be honest, a bit of a diva to put together.
- Inaccessible Realms: Once that mattress is down, forget about accessing your hidden treasures.
- The Big Move: Shifting your bed from room to room isn’t a walk in the dream park.
- Budget Busters: High-end models might require you to break your piggy bank.
- Built to…Not Last?: Yes, some models might give up on you before you give up on them.
Quick Reality Check: If you’re worried about the bed not going down, we’ve got a guide to troubleshoot that.
A Bed for Every Back
Suffer from back pain or allergies? You might be wondering if an ottoman bed is right for you. Good news, sleep warriors! You can tailor the mattress to your needs. For more, learn how to organise your ottoman bed storage to make it ergonomic.
Let’s Talk Money, Honey!
Is the ottoman bed worth the investment? Before you take the plunge, consider your budget and needs.
The Road Not Taken
If you find that the ottoman bed isn’t your cup of midnight tea, don’t lose sleep over it. There are plenty of alternatives that might better suit your sleep sanctuary.
Resources to Dream By
For those of you hungry for more, here’s a buffet of dreamy resources:
- How to dismantle a Dreams ottoman bed
- How to stop that annoying ottoman bed squeak
- How to fit a headboard to your snazzy new ottoman bed
- The pros and cons of ottoman beds
- 8 benefits of owning an ottoman bed
The Perfect Fit: Sizing Up Your Ottoman Bed
When it comes to finding the perfect ottoman bed, size does matter. But it’s not just about the dimensions of the bed itself; you also need to think about the size of your room and your lifestyle. Here’s what to consider:
- Room Dimensions: Measure your room, including the space you’ll need to lift the ottoman top.
- Storage Needs: Do you hoard winter clothing or have a mountain of shoes? Your storage needs will influence the bed size.
- Mattress Size: Got a king-size mattress? Make sure your ottoman bed can accommodate it.
- Manoeuvrability: Ensure there’s enough space to move around the bed comfortably, especially if your room is on the smaller side.
The Diverse World of Ottoman Beds
Divan vs. Bedstead
Divan Ottoman Beds
- Pros: These are essentially upholstered boxes with lift-up tops, available in various fabrics or leathers. They’re simple, elegant, and often come with matching headboards.
- Cons: Divan beds usually come in two sections, making them a bit cumbersome to move.
Bedstead Ottoman Beds
- Pros: These beds offer a range of materials like wood, metal, fabric, and leather. They often come flat-packed, making them easier to manoeuvre into tight spaces.
- Cons: Quality can vary, so you’ll need to pay attention to construction details.
Side-Opening vs. Foot-Opening
- Side-Opening: Easier to access but requires more space on either side of the bed.
- Foot-Opening: Perfect for tighter spaces but can be cumbersome to access if you have a footboard.
Slatted vs. Board Bases
- Slatted Bases: These are more forgiving on your mattress and usually offer a softer sleep.
- Board Bases: Offer a firmer sleep and can be more durable, but may not be the best choice for all mattress types.
Need more insights? Check out how to organise your ottoman bed storage for tips tailored to various bed types.
|Material Options||Fabric, Leather||Wood, Metal, Fabric, Leather|
|Ease of Assembly||Moderate||Easier (Usually flat-packed)|
|Base Type||Usually Board Bases||Slatted or Board Bases|
The Hidden Treasures: Ottoman Storage
What You Can and Can’t Store
Wondering what to stash in that shiny new ottoman bed of yours? Well, ottoman beds are like secret storage caves that can hold:
- Extra Bedding: For those chilly nights or guest sleepovers.
- Towels: Because one can never have too many.
- Suitcases: Perfect spot when they’re not in travel mode.
- Clothes & Shoes: Seasonal wardrobe, anyone?
However, let’s keep it real. There are some items better left out of your ottoman storage, like perishables or anything that needs frequent access.
How to Maximise Storage Space
Time to channel your inner Marie Kondo! To get the most out of your space:
- Use storage bags for bulky items like quilts or winter coats.
- Opt for stackable boxes to organise smaller items.
- Consider dividers for shoe storage or small garment separation.
Pro Tip: To learn more about organising your ottoman bed, click here.
The Mattress Matters: Sleeping Surface Decisions
Recommendations for Mattress Types
Your mattress isn’t just for beauty sleep; it also affects your bed’s functionality. Here are some mattress types that play nice with ottoman beds:
- Memory Foam: Lightweight and easy to lift.
- Innerspring: Offers firm support but can be heavy.
- Hybrid: A blend of foam and springs for the indecisive sleepers.
How Mattress Choices Impact Bed Functionality
- Weight: A heavy mattress can make it difficult to lift the ottoman top.
- Breathability: Opt for a mattress that promotes air circulation, especially if you’re going for a solid base.
|Storage Tips||Recommended Mattress Types|
|Use storage bags for bulky items||Memory Foam|
|Opt for stackable boxes||Innerspring|
|Consider dividers for shoes||Hybrid|
The Lift-Off: Operating Your Ottoman Bed
A Step-by-Step Guide to Lifting the Lid
Alright, lifters and shifters, listen up! If you’re new to the ottoman bed game, here’s how to give your bed a proper lift:
- Position Yourself Correctly: Stand facing the bed where the lifting mechanism is.
- Use Both Hands: Grasp the handle or edge firmly.
- Lift with Your Knees: Always lift using your leg muscles, not your back.
- Engage the Safety Lock: If your bed has one, secure it in place once lifted.
Safety Note: If your back screams louder than a rooster at dawn, you might want to get some help with the lifting. Safety first, folks!
- Proper Lifting Techniques: Always lift with your knees and keep your back straight.
- Assistance: Don’t be a hero; get help if it’s too heavy.
- Supervision for Kids & Pets: Keep an eye out, especially during the lifting process.
Special Circumstances: Unique Considerations
Ottoman Beds for Back Pain Sufferers
Hey, you brave souls dealing with back pain, here’s the lowdown:
- Lifting Techniques: Use proper form to avoid exacerbating back issues.
- Mattress Choice: Opt for lightweight options like memory foam to make lifting easier.
Ottoman Beds for Small Spaces
For those of you battling with limited square footage:
- Space-Saving Design: Ottoman beds are basically your storage knight in shining armour.
- Style Options: Various designs and materials mean you don’t have to sacrifice style for function.
Ottoman Beds for Families with Children or Pets
For the bustling households with tiny tots or furry friends:
- Safety Features: Look for beds with locking mechanisms or side rails.
- Supervision is Key: Make sure you’re around when the kiddos or pets are playing near the bed.
|Back Pain Sufferers||Use proper lifting techniques and opt for a lightweight mattress|
|Small Spaces||Choose a style that complements your room while maximizing storage|
|Families with Children or Pets||Opt for safety features and always supervise|
The Long Haul: Ottoman Bed Durability
Material and Construction Quality
Hey, you long-term dreamers! Let’s get into what really makes an ottoman bed last. The secret sauce is in the material and construction quality. A top-notch ottoman bed should be as sturdy as an oak tree and as reliable as your morning coffee.
- Materials: Look for high-quality wood, metal, or reinforced materials.
- Construction: Seek out strong joints and a robust hydraulic mechanism.
Quick Tip: Don’t skimp on quality. A poorly made ottoman bed can be as wobbly as a fawn learning to walk.
To ensure your bed’s long lifespan:
- Don’t Overload: Stick to the weight limit. Your bed’s not a pack mule!
- Clean Regularly: A little dusting goes a long way.
- Follow the Rules: Heed the manufacturer’s instructions like they’re sacred texts.
The Investment: Are Ottoman Beds Worth It?
Alright, you savvy savers, let’s talk money. Ottoman beds can be pricier than your average bed. But remember, you’re not just buying a bed; you’re investing in a storage solution.
Return on Investment
The ROI on these beds can be pretty sweet:
- Maximised Storage: Use the whole underside of the bed for your storage dreams.
- Style & Functionality: These beds are often the Swiss Army knives of bedroom furniture.
|Key Considerations||What to Do|
|Durability||Invest in high-quality materials and construction|
|Maintenance||Regular cleaning and don’t exceed weight limits|
|Cost & ROI||Consider storage needs and room aesthetics for value|
The Road Not Taken: Alternatives to Ottoman Beds
If the ottoman bed life isn’t calling your name, fear not. There are plenty of other storage-savvy options to consider.
Other Types of Beds with Storage
Bunk Beds: Ah, the classic bunk bed. Great for sibling sleepovers and making the most of small spaces.
- Features: Beds stacked high with optional storage drawers or even desks below.
- Best For: Families with kids or anyone looking to save horizontal space.
Divan Beds: The sensible cousin of the ottoman bed.
- Features: Drawers or slide stores built into the bed, no heavy lifting required.
- Best For: Those who want storage without the workout.
Bed Frames with Built-in Storage: Think of this as furniture with a double major.
- Features: Drawers or shelves gracefully integrated into the frame.
- Best For: Those who want an all-in-one bedroom solution.
Storage Beds: A bit of a generalist in the bed world.
- Features: Built-in drawers or shelves below the mattress.
- Best For: Those who want multiple storage options without lifting a finger.
Quick Pro Tip: Each bed type has its own set of quirks and features. Know what you need and choose wisely!
|Alternative Bed Types||Key Features||Best For|
|Bunk Beds||Stacked beds, optional storage drawers||Families with kids|
|Divan Beds||Drawers or slide stores||Easy access to storage|
|Bed Frames with Built-in Storage||Integrated drawers or shelves||All-in-one solutions|
|Storage Beds||Built-in drawers or shelves||Multiple storage options|
What are the disadvantages of ottoman beds?
Ottoman beds can be heavy and difficult to assemble. The storage space may also be less accessible while the bed is in use. They can be a bit expensive and, depending on the model, may not last as long as you’d like.
Is an ottoman bed a good idea?
Absolutely, especially if you’re a storage space dreamer! Ottoman beds offer a large storage area without taking up additional floor space. They can also add a touch of luxury to your bedroom with various designs and materials.
Are ottoman beds as comfortable?
Yes, ottoman beds can be just as comfortable as other bed types. The comfort level mainly depends on the mattress you choose. Memory foam mattresses are often a popular choice for their comfort and ease of lifting.
Is it worth getting a gas lift bed?
If lifting with ease is your bedtime fairy tale, then yes! Gas lift beds make accessing the storage space a breeze. The hydraulic mechanism does the heavy lifting, making it convenient and easy to use.
How long do gas lift beds last?
With proper care and maintenance, gas lift beds can last up to 10 to 15 years. Durability often depends on the quality of materials and construction. Regular maintenance and not overloading the storage can extend its lifespan.
Wrapping Up Your Ottoman Bed Journey
Ah, dreamers, we’ve come to the end of our cosy little chat about whether or not you should get an ottoman bed. We’ve delved into the nitty-gritty details, exploring topics like sizing up your bed, the types of ottoman beds, and even the storage capabilities.
- Sizing and Types: We talked about how to find the perfect size and type of ottoman bed for your room and lifestyle.
- Storage: Unearthed the hidden treasures you can store and how to maximise that space.
- Mattresses: Dished the dirt on what types of mattresses go well with ottoman beds.
- Special Circumstances: Covered unique considerations for back pain sufferers, those with small spaces, and families with kids or pets.
- Durability and Investment: Looked at how long these beds last and whether they’re worth your hard-earned cash.
- Alternatives: And for the commitment-phobes, we even explored other beds with storage options.
So, my lovely snoozers, whatever your sleep needs or room constraints, there’s probably an ottoman bed out there for you. Sweet dreams and happy shopping!
– Article by Lewis Hugh