Article by Lewis Hugh
Are queen size beds all the same? It’s a perplexing question that many bed shoppers ponder. In the UK, a queen bed is often referred to as a king bed, with dimensions of 150 x 200 cm (60″ x 78″ / 5′ x 6’6″).
But wait! The term “queen size” can also denote a bed measuring 152 x 203 cm (60″ x 80″ / 5′ x 6’8″), which is almost aligned with the American queen bed dimensions.
Did you know that queen size beds first strutted their stuff in the 1950s, becoming an instant hit with families in need of extra sleeping space?
At Dream HQ, we just can’t wait to lend a helping hand in picking out the perfect queen size bed for you. Whether you’re looking to trade in your current sleep haven or revamp your bedroom entirely, let our comprehensive guide light the way to smart purchases and wondrous slumber. Trust us, you won’t want to miss out on our expert advice.
The Varieties Of Queen Size Beds Unveiled
Oh, the dazzling world of queen size beds! There are so many splendid types to choose from, each with its unique allure and advantage. Let’s take a glimpse at some of the popular choices:
- Platform beds: Behold the sleek and chic platform beds with their elevated frames and built-in foundation that negate the need for a box spring. These beds sit low to the ground, exuding a sleek modernity. And they come in classic, storage, or floating options!
- Panel beds: Panel beds are so good-looking with their flat wood or decorative-moulded headboards and footboards. They’re like a canvas, ready for your dreams to paint upon. They do require a box spring, but it’s a privilege to give them what they need.
- Storage beds: Say hello to storage beds, the perfect solution for those who crave extra space for clothes, linens, or keepsakes. These beds have drawers that tuck underneath, preserving the much-needed floor space. They are ideal for smaller abodes and those who value functionality.
- Canopy beds: Canopy beds are a grand spectacle, with their towering frames with four posts that support an overhanging canopy, perfect for when you want to laze in a place reminiscent of fairy tales. They come in various materials, including wood, metal, or upholstered frames, each with their unique style.
Last but definitely not least, we have upholstered beds, with their plush padding nestled underneath the fabric to soften up the bedsides and headboards. These beauties come in standard, platform, or canopy beds, and an array of fabrics, both natural and synthetic, for your eyeballs to behold.
Factors To Consider Before Buying A Queen Size Bed
Finding the ideal queen size bed that fits your fancy requires thoughtful consideration. Take a gander at these key factors to aid in your decision-making:
- Lifestyle: Take a long, hard look at your lifestyle and how much time you spend in bed. Storage beds are aces if you’re yearning for more stowaway space in a pint-sized pied-à-terre.
- Sleep Preferences: Listen to your body and choose a bed that hits all those sweet spots for your preferred sleeping position. An upholstered bed with a sumptuous, cushiony headboard is a top contender if you like to curl up and enjoy a good read before dozing off.
- Room size: Keep in mind the almighty size of your sleeping quarters. Will the bed take over the entire room, or will it complement the space? For a cramped chambre with a view, a platform bed with a modest height will add to the allure.
The Perks Of A Queen Bed
If you still don’t believe that queen size beds are the bee’s knees and offer many benefits for all you snooze enthusiasts. Then Take a look at why queen size beds rule the roost:
- Roominess: Bid adieu to cramped spaces with a queen size bed that provides ample wiggle room for yourself or an additional sleeper. Spread those limbs and rest easy, knowing you won’t be accidentally elbowed in the middle of the night.
- Comfortable: Do you dread crawling into a too-small bed after a long day? Fear not, as queen size beds offer extra legroom and stretch-out space so you can unwind without feeling balled up like a hedgehog. Body alignment is key, and queen size beds provide the necessary support to keep your body rested the way it deserves.
- Variety: Want the flexibility to choose from different styles? Queen size beds come in a hearty selection of options, including platform, panel, storage, canopy, and upholstered beds. It’s like a buffet, but for sleep surfaces!
- Durability: You need a bed that’s sturdy enough to last a lifetime, and queen size beds are just that! They’re designed for couples or those who require more sleeping space, which means they’re built to handle all that sprawling and cosy snuggling. Say goodbye to saggy mattresses and hello to sweet dreams!
Queen vs Full: Size Comparison Made Simple
Welcome to the showdown between the full-size bed and the queen size bed. Let’s break down the differences and which one’s right for you.
- Size: Get this, folks – a full-size bed is 6 inches narrower and 5 inches shorter than a queen size bed! That’s the difference between a snug embrace and sprawling heaven.
- Spaciousness: Need some extra stretch-out space? The queen size bed wins this round, providing more room for singles or cosy couples who crave maximum slumber chills.
- Price: Ready for sticker shock? The queen size bed is often pricier than its full-size brethren, but it’s worth all the extra space and cosiness.
Remember, the dimensions we mentioned are for mattress sizes, but bed frames’ actual dimensions may vary depending on their design and style. So be sure to double-check the bed frame dimensions before finalising your purchase and enjoy the Z’s like never before!
The Assorted Types Of Queen Beds
Queen size beds may have the same name, but they come in an array of different flavours around the globe. Let’s take a peek at a few types:
- Small Double Bed in the UK: A popular choice across the pond, this bed measures 4 feet wide and 6 feet 3 inches long (120 x 190 cm). It’s neat, tidy, and perfect for solo sleep or cosy cuddles.
- European Queen: The European queen size bed has gone big with its 5 feet 2 inches (160 cm) width and 6 feet 6 inches (200 cm) length. The expansion offers an extra luxury room to spread out and snooze.
- US Queen: Standard US queen size beds measure 60 inches (152 cm) wide and 80 inches (203.5 cm) long. It’s a snug option that provides a comfortable fit for singles or couples.
- Olympic Queen (US size): The Olympic queen size bed has upped the width game with its 66 inches (168 cm) width and 80 inches (203.5 cm) length, making it perfect for sleepers who need additional legroom.
- Split Queen (Mainly in the US size): Want to share a bed but don’t want to trade in personal space? Split queen beds are a match made in heaven, measuring 60 inches (152 cm) wide and 80 inches (203.5 cm) long but with individual 30-inch (76 cm) widths. Two birds, one comfy stone.
- California queen (US size): Hey, West Coast, we see you with your own unique size! California queen beds measure 60 inches (152 cm) wide and 84 inches (213 cm) long, designed for those with longer legs and dreaming big.
Tips For Choosing Your Ideal Queen Bed
The search for the perfect queen size bed can be as daunting as it is exhilarating. Check out these three tips for making an informed and restful decision:
- Test the Waters: Want to ensure you’re drifting off into the lands of dreams? Hop onto a bed in-store (for more than just a hot second, mind you) and get a feel for its comfort levels. Sink in, stretch out, and see if it’s an ideal match.
- Read All About It: The world wide web is a treasure trove of feedback and customer reviews on beds, so why not take advantage of it? Check out the ratings and comments about the bed you have your eye on to see what others are loving (or loathing) about it.
- Material World: Don’t forget about the materials used in creating the bed of your dreams! Look out for buzzwords like “non-toxic,” “organic,” “bamboo,” and “natural latex” when selecting a bed. Not only are they better for your health and the environment, but they tend to last longer too. Happy snoozing!
Queen Size Mattress Thickness: It Matters!
Hey, hey, sleepyheads! We hope you’re wide awake because we’re about to delve into the world of queen size mattresses. Mattress thickness can either make or break your nightly repose, so keep these factors in mind before making the leap:
- Comfort: The thickness of your mattress can make or break your comfort levels, so choose wisely. If you’re a fan of that extra cushioning feeling, go for a thicker mattress that’ll support your every repose.
- Lifestyle: Back pains, snoring, and other sleep-related woes? Fear not! Thicker mattresses are a great option to relieve those aches and can optimise your night’s Z’s for a fresher day ahead.
- Room Size: Watch out for those bed frames! A thicker mattress needs a higher bed frame, so ensure you have enough space to accommodate your dream mattress.
In the UK, queen size beds are better known as small double beds, a snug 120 x 190 cm (roughly 4ft x 6ft 3in). Queen size beds usually come in mattress thicknesses ranging from 9″-12″ (22.9-30.5 cm), making them perfect for a golden rest.
Choosing Sheets For Your Queen Size Bed
You’ve made it through the mattress pickin’ process, but now it’s time to dive into the wild world of choosing queen size bed sheets. Let’s take a gander at some factors to consider:
- Dimensions: UK queen size beds come with a standard length and width of 60 inches by 80 inches. Make sure to select sheets that can snuggly fit these dimensions, so your toes aren’t left out in the cold!
- Choices Galore: There are various sheet materials to choose from, including cotton, silk, microfiber, and linen! Each one provides different benefits, so why not take a risk and try something new?
- Pick What’s Perfect for You: The material that suits you best comes down to personal needs and preferences. Do you value durability over breathability? Do you prefer softness over a little bit of a scratch? Whatever you choose, make sure you pick sheets that are comfortable and breathable for your best night’s sleep.
Time to roll around in comfort, friends!
The Essential Accessories For Your Queen Bed
You’ve snagged that queen size bed, and a bed sheet to match but let’s not forget the accessories that keep it functioning at its full potential. Check out some must-have mattress accessories:
- Pillows: pillows provide that extra support your body needs to avoid those pesky neck and backaches.
- Mattress Toppers: Could use a little bit of a new bed feel without spending all your hard-earned dough? Mattress toppers are a fantastic choice, bringing top-notch comfort to your bed and extending the lifespan of your mattress!
- Duvets and Comforters: These must-haves bring not only a touch of chic warmth to your bedding but also a level of pristine aesthetic appeal!
- Bed Skirts: Your bed deserves a skirt – not just from an elevator standpoint but to add some top-level style and to hide your personal storage magic underneath it! Sleep fully enabled!
Are some queen beds bigger than others?
In the UK, a queen bed is also known as a small double bed, with dimensions of 120cm x 190cm (4ft x 6ft 3in). While queen beds in the UK have standard dimensions, there may be slight variations in size.
Is a UK double the same as a queen?
UK queen beds, also called small double beds, measure 120cm x 190cm (4ft x 6ft 3in), while the UK double bed measures 135cm x 190cm (4ft 6in x 6ft 3in).
What is a queen size bed in the UK?
A queen bed, or small double bed, in the UK is smaller than a standard UK double bed but can provide extra sleeping space for single adults or couples. Its dimensions are 120cm x 190cm (4ft x 6ft 3in).
Are queen beds standard size?
In the UK, queen beds are considered a standard size, but they are also known as small double beds.
Is queen bed bigger than king single?
A queen bed is larger than a king single bed. In the UK, a queen bed, also known as a small double, measures 120cm x 190cm (4ft x 6ft 3in)1. In contrast, a king single bed is not a standard UK size, but it is commonly found in Australia and New Zealand.
Are two double beds bigger than a queen?
In the UK, a queen bed, also known as a small double, measures 120cm x 190cm (4ft x 6ft 3in). A standard UK double bed measures 135cm x 190cm (4ft 6in x 6ft 3in). Therefore, two double beds would have a combined width of 270cm (8ft 10in). Since 270cm is greater than the 120cm width of a queen bed, two double beds are indeed bigger than a queen bed in the UK.
In the realm of queen size beds, variations in size abound, depending on local traditions and preferences. In the United Kingdom, the queen bed is known as a small double, measuring a humble 120cm x 190cm (4ft x 6ft 3in), a tad smaller than the typical UK double bed at 135cm x 190cm (4ft 6in x 6ft 3in).
When space is tight, but a single bed takes up too little real estate, a queen or small double bed could provide the ideal sleeping quarters. Always consider bed dimensions before committing to a mattress, as this will ensure your bed meets both spatial and slumber needs.
Hey there sleep junkies! Are you in a slumber dilemma? Then fear no more, as we bring to you the queen size bed class guaranteed to elevate your snooze game! Providing ample space and unmatched comfort for both lone sleepers and the socials, queen size beds continue to be the rage for contemporary bedrooms.
While the abundant availability of different shapes and sizes of queen size beds can be dizzying, we’ve got your back with our ultimate guide to selecting the perfect queen size bed. Covering everything from nailing the precise mattress thickness for ultimate comfort, to selecting a superior sheet and the downright essential bed accessories – we’ve got it all covered for you! Be sure to check the link and upgrade to a high-quality and swanky queen-size bed, ensuring better Z’s and improved quality of life.